Tuesday 30 June 2015

ALIENS: Dust and echoes

Deep salvage is a hard game to work in, but the rewards are huge. You scour the galaxy looking for debris, and only now and then do you find something worth more than shit.

We’ve been out here for months on orders from the Company, and who the fuck knows why? Circling these same planetoids, the same asteroid belts, the same chatter from the crew. Over and over, it’s the same every day.

But now, finally, we’ve found something. A tiny shuttle from one of those old refinery tugs. Gotta be at least 60 or 70 years old. Maybe some collector will want it.

Minimal power readings suggest it’s been drifting for a while, but we’ve clamped this sucker and dragged it in to tear apart, maybe sell off some of the bigger chunks.

The scanner is on its way in to do a preliminary sweep before I step in there, better check my suit seals one last time. Boom, and we’re in.

Scanner reads nothing of interest, but the damn thing has been off for a while. The techs were supposed to recalibrate its scanners, all it seems to be sensing these days is movement. But in my opinion, only the worthless stuff moves.

Stepping over the lip of the shuttle’s door I nearly trip, again. Shine the light around, try not to show any excitement. What the? Fuck. Glowing cryotube. Hope it’s not a mess like the last one. Fuck, she’s alive. I can barely contain my frustration, there’s even a fucking cat in there. Wait, a cat?!

Atmosphere equalises and I tear off my mask.

“Well, there goes our salvage, guys.”

Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment